As a blue state tech worker (CA, in my case) it seems that I don’t have a lot of ways to affect politics. My Senators, representative, and local politicians already hold the same values and believe in the same policies I do. But I want to make a difference for Americans across the country, especially those that are in danger of a Trump administration. For others in my situation, here is a simple, 3-step guide to make a difference in our country:
Step 1 — Ask if your employer offers a gift match on charitable donations! It’s not unusual for top technology employers to match thousands of dollars a year.
Step 2 — Create an account on CharityNavigator. It’s a leading site to help make good decisions on how to spend charitable donations. It rates charities on a 0 to 4-star scale, where 4-star charities are “Exceptional”, exceeding industry standards and outperforming most charities in its cause, and 3-star charities are “Good”, exceeding/meeting industry standards and performing as good or better than charities in its cause. (Donating through CharityNavigator then makes it very easy to do your tax paperwork!)
Step 3 — Give to top-rated non-profits that correspond to the causes you care about, and take advantage of your employer’s gift match! Make an impact with dollars. A $1000 donation with an employer gift match gives $2000 to the charity, but could only cost you ~$700 with your tax deduction. Check these causes and charities out… and donate:
- National Resources Defense Council (4-star)
- American Civil Liberties Union (4-star)
- NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund (3-star)
- Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (3-star)
- Anti-Defamation League (2-star)
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America (4-star)
- Center for Reproductive Rights (4-star)
- NARAL Pro-Choice America Foundation (3-star)
- Trevor Project (LGBT suicide prevention) (4-star)
- Pro Publica (news) (not rated)
Originally published at per aspera ad astra.